26th, 27th & 28th March
Are you unable to treat 7 out of 10 periodontal cases that you see? Is periodontology missing from your practice? Is deep scaling the maximum periodontal intervention that you can do? Unsure on how to “STOP” tooth mobility? Unable to raise a flap or suture for a long – term predictable outcome? Unable to refer your patients to a periodontist? Worried that a bone placement will fail?
It has increasingly become necessary for general practitioners to be proficient in periodontal surgery, especially on examination and diagnosis. Periodontal surgical techniques are not routinely taught in dental school. This course is designed to enhance and develop the practitioner’s skill in basic and advanced periodontal flap surgery. The surgical procedures taught will provide a clear understanding of each procedures. Upon completion of this course, you will have acquired the critical skills to perform periodontal surgery in your clinical practice. A live surgery will also be performed to improve the learning experience.
- Biology of normal periodontium
- Etiology & classification of periodontal diseases
- Diagnosis & treatment planning
- OPG / CBCT Diagnostics and treatment planning
- Medications used in periodontal practice
- Instruments and armamentarium
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy
- Surgical periodontal therapy
- Periodontal surgery (types, flap design, suturing techniques)
- Bone graft selection & placement techniques
- Membrane type and selection
- Guided tissue regeneration
- Principal of soft tissue grafting
- Gingival recession and ways to treat it
- Gingival overgrowth, causes and treatment
- Surgical crown lengthening
- Gingivectomy & gingivoplasty
- Gingival depigmentation
- Regenerative vs resective procedures for periodontal defects
- Crown lengthening
- Post-operative care for patients
- Current perspective
Prof. Dr. Sunil Kumar Nettemu
Prof. Dr. Sunil Kumar Nettemu has completed his Masters in Periodontology and holds a Fellowship, Mastership and Diplomate in Oral Implantology from the International Congress of Oral Implantologist (ICOI), USA. He has been working passionately and extensively in the field of Oral Implantology for many years and is currently holding the prestigious position as the ICOI Director and Membership Chairman for India And ASEAN Nations.
He is also a member of ICOI Ambassadors’ Circle and the ICOI Advanced credentialing committee member. He has research grant on his name for research work in the field of Implant Dentistry. He heads the Department of Periodontics and Oral Implantology and is the Co-ordinator for Fellowship in Oral Implantology post – graduate certification programme at Centre for Excellence, Faculty of Dentistry, Melaka – Manipal Medical College, Malaysia. He widely practices the use of various hard and soft tissue augmentation techniques for implant site preparation in achieving finer aesthetics, restore function and enhance patient comfort. He has delivered numerous talks on Periodontology and Oral Implantology as invited speaker on National and International podiums. He has numerous journal and book publications in the field of Periodontology, Implant Dentistry and advanced surgical practices.
He believes in inspiring budding dental practitioners and Implantologist to be passionate about their work and deliver quality dental care to all patients.
Prof. Dr. Somya Nettem
Prof. Dr. Somya Nettem completed her Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) from Dr. MGR Medical University in 2005 and Master in Dental Surgery (MDS) in Periodontology and Oral Implantology in 2009 from SRM University, India with a Gold Medal and First Rank certificate for Excellence in Education. She is the first dental faculty member from Malaysia to obtain FAIMER fellowship in Healthcare Professionals Education.
She has completed Standard Proficiency certification in Laser Dentistry from Academy of Laser Dentistry, USA and is a speaker for various workshops on this subject. She has organized and facilitated numerous workshops in the field of Periodontology, Oral Impantology as well as Healthcare Professionals Education. She has numerous publications in indexed, peer-reviewed journals, books and is actively involved in guiding research projects for undergraduate dental students. Currently, she works as professor in the Department of Periodontics at Melaka – Manipal Medical College, Malaysia where she also actively works with the Implant team to conduct post-graduate certificate course for general dental practitioners across Malaysia.
As the Chairman of Intergrated CBL commitee, she is the pioneer member to implement Integrated Case-Based Learning at her Institution. She is a core member and secretary of the Medical Education Unit at her Institution which organizes faculty development programs and workshops to help all the faculty members stay abreast with the latest developments in the field of Healthcare Professionals Education
- Introduction and Etiopathogenesis of Periodontal Diseases
- Periodontal Diagnosis, Prognosis & Treatment planning –
- Guidance in the right direction for General Dental Practitioner
- Periodontal Maintenance – Recognizing our role as dentists
- Smile Designing of The use of T-Bar
- Crown Lengthening Procedures – Importance of Biological
- Width & carious techniques involved
- Gingival Enlargements – Types and its management
- Introduction to soft tissue laser – uses and management with empahsis on safety protocols
- Periodontal Flap surgical procedures: Incisions, Indications &
- Contraindications – Decision making made easy
- LASER assisted pocket debridement
- Hands – On training on goat Jaw Models: Different incisions used in flaps surgeries & Laser assisted pocket debridement procedures.
- Various flap designs – Indications and contraindications
- Hands-on training on goat jaw models: Different flap designs and flap elevation.
- Guided tissue regeneration (GTR) procedures – Understanding and making the right choice of bone grafts and membranes
- Hands-on training on goat jaw models
- Guided tissue regeneration in created defects (Grade II furcation defect / Intrabony 3 walled defects)
- Palatal grafts in periodontal surgeries
- Hands on training on goat jaw models: Soft tissue grafting techniques.
- Scalpel and Laser – assisted depigmentation procedures.